The third annual Canstruction Victoria event was held from May 6th to May 16th at Mayfair Shopping Centre and was our best year yet! The theme of ‘Blast From The Past’ inspired 9 teams to take visitors on a pop culture journey through time, with a look at memorable games, events and characters. The Canstructions ranged from 1,700 to 5,400 cans of food and cost between $2,000 and $7,500 to build. The 2016 event raised over 30,000 cans of food and with cash donations of $2,900+ raised through the People’s Choice votes and donations the total value donated to The Mustard Seed was an impressive $99,928. The cans of food weighed in at 38, 792 pounds resulting in over 46,000 meals donated! Canstruction 2016 was a remarkable success thanks to our teams, sponsors, community partners and everyone throughout the community who took part in this event. This years results brings our 3 year total of value donated in support of The Mustard Seed to $263,475!! The impacts we are creating are immeasurable and we look forward to carrying this momentum forward toward Canstruction 2017!
Mayfair Shopping Centre, Sysco Victoria, Fairway Market, The Times Colonist, The Zone @ 91-3, 100.3 The Q! The Island’s Rock, Used Victoria, Hipwood Digital, & Romeo’s.
Participating teams and Sculpture Title/Concept:
1. Sysco Victoria – Team Sysco Good Cans: Canned Snoopy
*Winner – ‘Best Meal’ & ‘Most Cans’*
2. Fairway Markets – Team FW Kool & The Gang: Ohhhhhh Yeahhhh!
*Winner – ‘Honourable Mention’*
3. Fairway Markets – Team FW Pac Attack: Pac Man
4. Seafirst Insurance: Expo ’86
5. Christine Lintott Architecture – Team That 60′s Team: Give Peas A Chance
*Winner – ‘Structural Ingenuity’*
6. St. Michael’s University School – Team SMUS: VW “Can”per Van
7. Lowe Hammond Rowe Architecture: Destination Moon: Feeding People Shouldn’t Be Rocket Science
8. Megson Fitzpatrick Insurance – Team Tin Can: Souper Mario Bros. – Cantendo
9. Knappet Projects Inc: Canned Music
*Winner – ‘Best Use Of Labels’ ‘Juror’s Favourite’ and ‘People’s Choice’*