The fourth annual Canstruction Victoria event was held from June 2nd to June 12th at Hillside Shopping Centre. Colossal structures made completely out of non-perishable food items brought big attraction and even bigger results! This year’s theme, ‘You Are What You Eat’, resulted with 10 structures that inspired visitors to think outside the box, with a look at creative portrayals of hunger, gluttony, and the ever-so-vast food chain. The Canstructions ranged from 1,000 to 7,700 cans and cost between $2,000 and $10,000 to build. The 2017 event raised 37,284 cans equating to 48,503 lbs. of food. With cash donations of over $2400 the event raised a total value of $123,665.35 between cash and can donations. The success of Canstruction 2017 would not have been possible without the support of our teams, sponsors, community partners, volunteers and community engagement. To date, Canstruction Victoria events have raised over 134,000 cans of food, which, in addition to monetary donations, equals approximately $387,140 worth of product and funds to The Mustard Seed. These accomplishments have been achieved in just 40 short days over 4 years. Supporting families in need through The Mustard Seed is a cause that so many people want to get behind and our team is thrilled to have put on another hugely successful event!
Hillside Shopping Centre, Sysco Victoria, Fairway Market, The Times Colonist, The Zone @ 91.3, 100.3 The Q! The Island’s Rock, Lamar Transit Advertising, Romeo’s & Used Victoria.
Participating teams and Sculpture Title/Concept:
1. Sysco Victoria: All you CAN eat!
*Winner – ‘Best Meal’ & ‘Most Cans’*
2. Fairway Markets Team 2: Rumbly In My Tumbly Pooh Bear
*Winner – ‘Jurors Favourite’ & ‘People’s Choice’*
3. Fairway Markets Team 1: Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar
4. Seafirst Insurance: I am strong to the finish…Cause I eats me Spinach!
5. Christine Lintott Architecture: Catch me if you Can!
6. St. Michael’s University School: Water Can(Man)
7. Lowe Hammond Rowe Architecture: The Human Bean
*Winner – ‘Honourable Mention’*
8. Knappett Projects Inc: CANnibalistic Tendencies
*Winner – ‘Structural Ingenuity’*
9. Kinetic Construction Ltd.: The Cone Of Contribution
10. Farmer Construction Ltd.: Taters Gonna Tate
*Winner – ‘Best Use Of Labels’*