The second annual Canstruction Victoria event was held from May 1st to May 11th at Mayfair Shopping Centre and was a resounding success! The theme of ‘Movie Magic’ inspired seven wonderful teams to create sculpture creations with immense detail, creativity and dedication. The Canstructions ranged from 1,500 to 4,600 cans of food and cost between $2,000 and $5,500 to build. The 2015 event raised over 30,000 cans of food to donate to The Mustard Seed, worth over $37,000 and topping last years event by 10,000 cans! Additionally $4,000 was raised towards the cause through the People’s Choice votes and donations. We had an impressive 250% increase in votes cast and 350% increase in community engagement in year 2. The cans of food weighed in at an impressive 32, 841 pounds resulting in approximately 39, 409 meals donated! Canstruction 2015 was able to provide The Mustard Seed with meals throughout the summer, a time when their shelves are typically limited!
Mayfair Shopping Centre, Sysco Victoria, Country Grocer, The Times Colonist, Hipwood Digital, Victoria Box & Paper, Slegg Lumber, Romeo’s, Colonial Countertops, The Zone @ 91-3, 100.3 The Q! The Island’s Rock, Tim Hortons, and Used Victoria.
Participating teams and Sculpture Title/Concept:
1. Sysco Victoria – Team Sysco: Drive-In Can-tertainment!
*Winner – ‘Honourable Mention’*
2. Christine Lintott Architecture – Team Can T Lever: Wall-EAT!
*Winner – ‘Best Meal’*
3. Seafirst Insurance & Finlayson Bonet Architecture - Team Seafirst: The Lego Movie
*Winner – ‘Best Use Of Labels’*
4. MegsonFitzpatrick Insurance Services – Team Tin Can Featuring The MFI Munchkins: We’re Not in Cansas Anymore…There’s No Place Like Home Insurance
*Winner – ‘Structural Ingenuity’ and ‘Jurors’ Favourite’*
5. St. Michael’s University School: Magic Of Disney ‘Can’stle
*Winner – ‘People’s Choice’*
6. Country Grocer: May The Cans Be With You
7. Macdonald Realty & Low Hammond Rowe Architects: Close Encounters Of The Third Canned